Friday, June 25, 2010

Lol I Can't Keep Up!

Friday night finally!!! Well I am finally caught up on sleep. Well, sorta I am still really tired a lot of the time, but that is probably because of how tiring it is to learn a new language. Overall this experience is amazing and I feel so blessed to be able to be here. We get to go to the beach about 2 to 3 times a week which is gorgeous! The weather is amazing! This week we went on a tour of an ancient roman castle that dates back to 215 BC. It was so cool to look at rocks that had been cut and placed where they were thousands of years ago!
We visited the market which had everything from electronics to food. It was funny because I think where ever you go even if it isn't a third world country the markets always smell the same.. a hint of sewer :P. Maybe that isn't true, but so far that is what I have found.
The one challenging thing I am dealing with right now is school. In the beginning I was in group A (the beginning class) because I have never taken Spanish in my life! This made sense. However, so many of the people in our class wanted to switch to group B that the director just switched us all to group B. Lol, ya so now I am in intermediate Spanish writing 80 word compositions and I don't even know how to say my alphabet! I kept talking to one of the monitors, but they didn't seem to take me seriously when I told them I really didn't understand. Finally, today I asked to talk to the director which wasn't there, but finally the tutor seemed to take me seriously and said we would figure things out. I explained to him that if I didn't have a basis to build on I couldn't apply what I was learning in the intermediate class. I am going to be talking to the director on Monday, so hopefully it goes well.
The students here are a lot of fun. There is always a sense of adventure in the air which I love! Everyone here has to have a bit of adventure or else they wouldn't be here. One thing that did surprise me is that I am one of the older ones here! A lot of the students are 18 and 20. So yes I am not really that much older but still I wasn't expecting to be at the top of the scale.
Although, the whole classes thing sometimes gets me down I keep trying to tell myself to make the most of my experience because hey I'm in Spain! I am having an adventure of a life time that most people never get to experience! I love having this feeling of freedom, adventure and endless possibilities. I love the quote from... well I don't remember but it says, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!" The possibilities are limitless and I love that!!!

1 comment:

KJ said...

Oh my goodness! I hope that you've been able to work things out with the director! Those are unreasonable expectations for a student who is new to Spanish! So sorry.. glad to hear that you're still enjoying the experience though! :)