Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Summer Adventure Begins!

Grrrr, ok we will try this again. I just erased my whole blog! Anyways I will catch you up on my adventures this far. So far I spent about 2 days in DC with my friend Sanchez. We were student missionaries together in Saipan and shared a classroom. We did some sightseeing and just relaxing. It was really a great time!

Next I got on a plane headed for Madrid. After 10 hours and no sleep we finally touched down. I found myself in a different world where not many people understood me. It took me an hour to find the check-in thanks to contradicting information. However, I was reminded on how small the world really is when I was on a shuttle bus and met someone from Kenniwick, Washington who had went to Whitman. Well, after I finally checked in two hours later I was finally on my last fight to Valenica.
When I arrived I got out of the boarding area and expected to find someone waiting for me. Well, I waited for about 30 min, then I decided that I should go exchange some money so I could use a pay phone to call the school. Only problem was there was no money exchange. They only way I could have would have been to use an ATM but I had no credit card. Well a very nice person at one of the desks called the school for me. They told her they had someone on the way. I waited for another half and hour and began to get worried that maybe the person on the line had gotten confused and there really wasn't anyone on their way. Well I finally got pretty scaried, plus because of my lack of sleep I was pretty drained. I put up a few desperate prayers to God and within 5 min a lady came to me and asked if I was Rhonda. Yes, I believe God answers prayers!
I got to the school and we went straight to the cafe where I recognized my friend Laura.
The whole rest of the day I battled with my eyelids to stay open. I don't think I have every been that tired in my life. The meetings kept me awake till 10! I fell into bed exhausted, but glad to be here.
This morning was also another adventure. I had brought my curling iron and decided to curl my hair. What I didn't realize was that because the electricity here is higher my curling iron got alot more hot. Well I first held it in for about 30 sec and as I took it out it smelled horrible. I looked at the curling iron and it had part of my blackened hair on it and at the end of my curl my hair hung singed. Well, then I had the brilliant idea that if I only held the curling iron in my hair for a second it would work. Wrong again it singed all the ends of my hair, but I did not realize this until I started running my hands through my curls and finding little pieces of hair falling off. Well I got a trim that I was not counting on! So far I have given my hair two conditioning treatments and will probably do a couple more and cross my fingers that it will be ok.
For our first Sabbath there was communion which was really special. After church we went and took another nap as we are still not over jet lag and then we went to lunch. After lunch a bunch of us girls went for a walk up the road by the campus. This is a beautiful place. It still almost seems like a dream that I'm here!

No comments: